If you are wondering what or who is the sea, it can be found within each and every one of you. If you want to grow and to learn in a society that honors positive social endeavors, technology, and free thought, then you are part of the sea already. As part of the sea, you will be the waves that will crash onto the shore of society. You will be the waves that will bring positive change to a society that is finding a way to the dark ages.
Being part of the sea is not a difficult endeavor. You will have no membership fees, no leadership to hold you back, and no members who want to complain and whine while doing nothing. You are a leader and you are in charge, so get involved and make change happen.
Below are some very simple tenants that those who choose to be part of the sea shall honor.
- Personal liberty and equality of opportunity are of paramount importance within the Sea and always apply insofar as such freedoms do not reduce the freedoms of others, whether deliberately or accidentally.
- We want a new, healthy society – a new future – which embraces the compassionate use of technology to solve problems, rejects authoritarianism and uncontrolled crony capitalism and embodies the principles of freedom, democracy, and transparency of government.
- The Sea is beholden to no single party or philosophy.
- Direct democratic activity should be embraced locally, and nationally.
- Transparency of governance and administration is vital to the health of any movement. Censorship for any reason is deemed unacceptable by the Sea. Similarly, all members of the Sea are to be held accountable for their decisions and actions.
- The Sea believes in working with and using those aspects of society that have value, in order to address those which do not. The Sea believes that we can, and should, improve the human condition and environment using technology. This desire to develop the positive and eliminate the negative should be understood as being in the spirit of positive, creative, and constructive effort.
- The Sea emphasizes action and a balance between art and science. The Sea must work to make our speech constructive, and will not engage in or support non-constructive forms of debate.
- Philosophy and ideology must serve as action toward achieving our goals, rather than distracting from such action. Responsibility for taking action and the consequences of that action must be assumed by each individual, working to lead efforts themselves rather than waiting to be told what to do. This point can be summarized as Just Do It.
- The Sea is a futurist movement, exploring the impact of accelerating technological growth on society, economics, politics, and the human condition, through science, art, and other means.
- Science, art, philosophy, and technology – as tools we use to understand and shape the world – must be used in a balanced way. Similarly, we must balance innovation and trade with the protection of the community and the environment.
- Science, art, philosophy, and their sub-disciplines are to be regarded as having equal value in our work. This does not mean that scientific and artistic products have been or can be judged by any single criterion, but that technology and scientific process do not exist in a vacuum, but rather in a cultural context. Art and culture influence people, and the ways in which people will relate to technology and science. We afford these processes equal respect as a matter of principle.
- Considered action is to be emphasized over purely theoretical concerns. Philosophy, conversation, and deep consideration have great value, but to be of utmost value they must eventually be grounded in concrete action of some type.
- We encourage the abandonment of non-replaceable fossil fuels at the first possible opportunity.
- Ignorance causes suffering, and so we must work to spread accurate knowledge where it will help others at no significant risk to ourselves.
- Where there is unwanted suffering, we will seek to abolish it. Our highest goal is to work toward a society in which involuntary suffering has been abolished by the considered, compassionate application of technology.
- We seek to promote mutual support programs, increased knowledge, expanded consciousness, good health, and prolonged life. Insofar as it does not violate other principles, we seek to treat others with respect. We aim to treat them as they would wish to be treated, and will not treat them as they do not wish to be treated.